Thursday 17 April 2014

Monochrome Geometric with a Splash of Purple


Hi everyone!

Today I have a this geometric design for you, along with a little secret about me!

I'm going to start by telling you my secret: I love socks. Yes, socks. Socks are amazing. But not just any socks - I love socks with weird or eye-catching patterns, with funny animals of fruit on them. I own a lot of socks, all of which are wonderful and a bit weird - I have socks with owls, with hedgehogs, with pugs listening to a walkman, and so on.

Hehe, okay, I'm not sure if loving weird socks is a bit crazy or if there are a lot of people that like funny socks - do you like them?

Now, why did I tell you that, you might think. And maybe you might have guessed it already: today's design was inspired by my new socks! I bought a bunch of socks a few days ago and one of them has this lovely geometric pattern on it - it's absolutely gorgeous!


Fun fun! When I saw it, I not only definitely wanted to buy these socks, but I also immediately knew I wanted to make this design into nail art.

The colours I used here are: 
Black on Black - Sinful Colors
Alpine Snow - OPI
Ate Berries in the Canaries - OPI




At first I thought to do the geometric pattern on all of my nails, but I quickly decided that sometimes, less is more! Plus less work, haha.

I started out by painting my pointer finger and little finger with three coats of Alpine Snow.

I also painted on two coats of Ate Berries in the Canaries on the rest of my nails. When that had dried, I painted two coats of Alpine Snow on my middle finger, but not starting at my cuticles of course, because I wanted to leave a spot of purple visible.









Then I added some triangle studs to my pointer and ring finger and voila!

I then started to do the geometric pattern: now I haven't copied the pattern exactly the way it is - on the socks, the black lines and triangles sort of meet, but I kept it a bit simpler. I just painted on the triangles, added some "teeth" to some of them, and coloured the other ones in with black.

The geometric design isn't as neat as I wanted it to be - I mean, some of the lines aren't very straight and the triangles aren't all the same size - but for my first attempt at this design, I'm very satisfied!

Plus I got compliments about these nails in real life - I mean, like someone from my class noticed my nails. I always think it's so fun when people in real life notice my nails - it's only normal that everyone here notices them because I put up extra large pictures of them on my blog :D And although in real life I'm often positioning my hands a certain way so people can see my nails (do you guys do that too?) it's always lovely when people notice them :)

And to finish, I have some more lovely pictures for you:



Are you a fan of funky socks? And do you like this design? I'm very proud of myself for keeping it so simple - sometimes I overdo a design and it becomes a bit too much, but this time I really kept it clean!

Thanks for reading! :)

28 comments:

  1. I looove it. But I confess - I have a crush on geometrical designs, even though, like you, I don't get it even (but, yours are much more even than mine...).
    And I too love weird funky socks! And my best friend in school too. We both liked striped socks most. Sometimes when I see some, I buy at it give them as a present to her.
    I have socks with Hello Kitty, but I don't wear them very often, because my boyfriend says they are a total turn down... haha. but they are warm and cozy, so if its cold outside I wear them nevertheless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Haha, crazy socks for the win! So cool that you and your friend both like weird socks - my friends mostly make fun of me when I have my hedgehog socks on to be honest. I would love to have Hello Kitty socks, that is so cute!

      Delete
    2. I think I bought them at H&M a long time ago... But I'm sure you will get some if you search!

      Delete
    3. The search for Hello Kitty socks is on! :D

      Delete
  2. I love funny patterns on socks too! Actually, i love funny, crazy patterns on different things (like tshirts) :))
    I like your nails, that's a great idea!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ela! Oh yes, crazy patterns on t-shirts are also lovely! I recently bought a shirt with a dalmatian print on it haha :)

      Delete
  3. These are amazeballs!!!! So fabulous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much! Your enthousiasm makes me so happy right now!

      Delete
  4. This combination of colours looks great! I cannot believe your inspiration was from socks too - what a great idea! I'm always putting my hands in certain positions so people can see my nails too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! All credit for colour combination goes to the sock-makers haha :) I'm glad I'm not the only one with hand positioning!

      Delete
  5. I love these so much! The geometric designs are perfect, I especially love the middle finger geometric design combined with the ruffian look :) Funky socks are the best!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lucy! Hehe go go funky socks!

      Delete
  6. I am sucker for Geometric shapes (only for nail design else I loathe geometry :P) I loved the middle finger. And yes I love to get response on my design in real life. I sometimes get compliment from complete strangers. That kinda fun ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I wasn't really into geometric patterns until now, but this design has completely changed my mind and I'm looking forward to doing some more geometric patterns! Wow, getting compliments from complete strangers, that is so fun! I only get compliments from strangers when I'm buying nail polish and the woman from the store sees my nails :)

      Delete
  7. I love that pink black n white nail !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, that is the eye-catcher of this design :D I'm glad it worked out so well with that ruffian!

      Delete
  8. Wow, this nail art look both graphical and unique, I loved it. Your nail shape also just made everything even better. Love these kind of inspired-by-nail-art's, seeing something and then interpreting them into nail art. Great work! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I too love it when people get inspired by something and translate it into nail art, it's so cool to see their interpretation of the design :)

      Delete
  9. Your nails look stunning! You're so talented,
    Your blog looks also really amazing ;)

    Xx julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julia, that's so nice of you! I'm really glad you like my blog design :)

      Delete
  10. I love the colours and patterns in your mani - and so cool it matches your socks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Unfortunately my socks are not a very visible part of my outfit so people only see the matchiness when I pull up my pants and stick my foot close to their face, but it's sort of a small pleasure for me to know that they match haha!

      Delete
  11. I just seen these nails on your Bloglovin' and WOW AMAZING! I love the pattern, the colour, your love of funky socks, everything haha! I love your middle fingernail the best :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Emily! I adore this design so much too, I'm really proud of how I translated this funky sock pattern into nail art :D

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Definitely leave a comment with your thoughts, and if you have any questions, ask away! I always reply so check back :)
Please don't leave links in your comment unless they are related to my blog post. If you're new on my blog, I always come and check out yours :)