Monday 6 January 2014

Recreating an artwork - 'Heist' by Earph


Hi everyone!

Today I have a design for you that's a bit out of my comfort zone.

I knew I wanted to do something with triangles, but I wasn't exactly sure what. So I googled images to get some inspiration, and I came accross this picture (which I found here):

'Heist' by Earph (Matthew Williamson)

I really liked the white and red smoke around the triangle, so I decided to adapt this image a bit and recreate it onto my nails.


The colours I used: Black on Black - Sinful Colors;
Big Apple Red - OPI; Chinchilly - Essie; 

FM1 - D'Orleac; Matt Effect Top Coat - Gosh

I started by painting my nails with a coat of Black on Black and let it dry.
After this, I used a small plastic bag to create the smoky effect. I put on blobs of black, grey, white and red and immediately covered my nail with the plastic bag. I pressed on it (but don't shift it from its place) and took the bag of.


I touched up a few things (put some extra black on the side of my nails, mostly) and added a matte top coat. Then I simply painted the triangles with a thin brush and tadaam, that's it!

Now that I think about it, another technique that would probably also have worked for this is dry marble, but I didn't think of it at the time. But this "plastic bag" technique also works well to create the smoky effect, I think.


I'm quite liking this design. It's the first time I tried to recreate an artwork (well, except for some Mondriaan nails I did once) so it's something I normally don't do. It's not a perfect recreation of the artwork of course, but I like how it turned out. Maybe I'll try to recreate another artwork some time in the future!

What do you think? :)

6 comments:

  1. so well done, mission accomplished :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you! I thought that it was a very cool design as well, and adaptable to nail art :)

      Delete
  3. I love how you used the sandwich bag technique for the base! It makes it look so wispy and mysterious :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Definitely leave a comment with your thoughts, and if you have any questions, ask away! I always reply so check back :)
Please don't leave links in your comment unless they are related to my blog post. If you're new on my blog, I always come and check out yours :)